Eviction & Harassment Protections - Effective 05/10/17
On April 11, 2017, the City of Union City approved an Ordinance that adds Chapter 5.50 “Residential Landlord and Tenant Relations” to the City’s municipal code. The Residential Landlord and Tenant Relations Ordinance went into effect on May 10, 2017.
The Ordinance regulates most residential rental units in the City and requires landlords to provide a specific reason for terminating a lease, prohibits landlords from engaging in specific harassment activity, and requires that landlords provide tenants with a notice of tenant rights in all of the following situations:
- within sixty days of the Ordinance effective date (May 10, 2017);
- when entering into a new lease or rental agreement;
- when renewing a lease or rental agreement; and
- when issuing a notice of termination;
Residential Landlord and Tenant Relations Ordinance (839-17)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Notice of Tenants Rights Form
Rent Review (Mediation) - Effective 10/02/17
On June 27, 2017, the City Council of Union City approved an ordinance that adds Chapter 5.55 “Rent Review” to the City’s municipal code. The Rent Review Ordinance goes into effect on October 2, 2017.
The ordinance will regulate most residential rental units in Union City and provide a mediation process for qualifying rent increases. For further information, please sign up to receive notifications below.
Request for Proposals
The City has issued two Request for Proposals (RFPs) for:
- A Program Administrator to implement the Eviction & Harassment Protection Ordinance and the proposed Rent Review Ordinance. Review RFP
- A professional mediator(s) to provide on-call mediation services and serve as the Rent Review Officer for the proposed Rent Review Ordinance. Review RFP
Deadline to Respond: July 24, 2017 at 5 PM
Business License Info
Rent & Tenant Taskforce
City Council Meeting Information
|5/17/16 Staff Report|
Housing & Community Development Coordinator
Phone: (510) 675-5322